Schizophrenia can be a deeply troubling condition for both those who suffer from it and their loved ones. At Bridges to Recovery, we offer comprehensive care to successfully treat people living with this severe mental health disorder, using a combination of evidence-based therapeutic approaches that target both acute symptoms and lay the foundation for long-term wellness. Our assessment process allows us to gain an accurate, detailed picture of your history and symptoms, and includes consultations with your loved ones and outpatient care providers to help us develop a full understanding of your situation. Individual psychotherapy, group therapy, holistic therapies, and thoughtfully designed medication protocols are employed to address your symptoms in a complete, personalized manner. By seeking intensive residential treatment, you can begin to reintegrate with the world around you and gain the insight and skills you need to manage your symptoms in order to live a richer, more enjoyable life.
From Fragmentation to Wholeness
Schizophrenia means “a split mind,” an apt and concise description of this serious mental health disorder. The chasm between your perceptions and sense of reality can be profoundly disorienting, leading to severe psychological distress, fractured social relationships, self-destructive behaviors, and loss of normal functioning. While schizophrenia is a chronic condition, it is manageable with proper treatment, and people with the illness can often live full, productive lives.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia include:
- Delusions: Delusions are false but firmly held beliefs and are experienced by 90% of people who suffer from schizophrenia. Common delusions include the belief that someone is out to get you, that your mind is being controlled by outside forces, that you are a famous or historically significant figure, and that ordinary objects or events have special meaning.
- Hallucinations: Hallucinations are sensory experiences that you believe are real but have no basis in fact. While this phenomenon can be expressed through any of the senses, auditory and visual hallucinations are the most common and are often deeply disturbing. For example, you may hear voices telling you abusive or obscene things.
- Disorganized thinking and speech: Schizophrenia often involves the fracturing of cognitive processes, which present themselves as disorganized speech. Your thoughts may be incomplete and incoherent, and this cognitive struggle is expressed through distressed verbalization. You may speak in fragmented sentences, have trouble maintaining a cohesive conversation, jump from topic to topic, repeat words and phrases, and invent language.
- Disorganized behavior: You may experience impairment of goal-oriented behavior, the inability to complete tasks, disrupted self-care, a lack of impulse control, and an inability to function in a normal way. Disorganized behavior also includes the deterioration of motor skills, awkward body movements and postures, and unresponsiveness.
- Negative symptoms: Negative symptoms are the absence of normal functioning. You may lack the ability to express and feel emotion, lose interest in the world around you, become unable to communicate effectively, and neglect self-care.
Why Consider Bridges to Recovery for Schizophrenia Treatment
At Bridges to Recovery, we specialize in diagnosing and treating complex psychiatric issues such as schizophrenia. We provide compassionate and effective care in a serene residential setting so clients can focus on their treatment and recovery without the worries of external pressures and stressors.
- Private residential accommodations. Our exclusive residential treatment homes have a maximum of six clients, providing a safe, private alternative to a more traditional hospital environment.
- World-class clinical staff. Our expert clinical team provides individual therapy using proven evidence-based treatment modalities to treat schizophrenia.
- Individualized treatment plans. After a thorough assessment, we create a truly individualized treatment plan that offers profound healing and strategies for overcoming the toughest obstacles.
- Health and wellness focused. To ensure your comfort during your healing process, our chefs create delicious healthy, gourmet meals. We also offer yoga, meditation, acupuncture, massage, and physical fitness classes.
At Bridges to Recovery, we believe that exceptional psychiatric, clinical, and holistic care can transform lives. With the utmost dignity and respect, we meet you where you are to develop a vision for the life you wish to have, and offer the care you need to achieve it.