Residential Schizoaffective Disorder Treatment
Bridges to Recovery provides world-class residential treatment for anxiety disorders and other complex mental illnesses and emotional issues. We provide a unique and effective combination of psychiatry, psychotherapy, and integrative therapy to help you reclaim your life and remove the obstacles created by many mental health disorders.
Schizoaffective disorder is a serious and chronic mental illness that can be managed with the right combination of treatment strategies. This condition is characterized by symptoms of schizophrenia, which are psychotic symptoms, along with episodes and symptoms of bipolar disorder or major depression. This combination of symptoms can have a big impact on a person’s life, making it difficult to function normally.
The prognosis for patients diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder is generally good, however. With the right treatment plan, a commitment to long-term treatment, and support from family and friends, someone living with this condition can get better. Treatment plans vary by individual but in general include a combination of medications, therapy, social support, and self-management.
Diagnosing Schizoaffective Disorder
The first step in getting effective treatment for schizoaffective disorder is an accurate diagnosis. This condition can be tricky to diagnose, because it causes symptoms of more than one mental illness. It may be easy to mistake it for schizophrenia or a mood disorder, when really it is a combination of both. Diagnosis requires an evaluation by a mental health professional, who uses the medical and mental health history of the patient, observations, and interviewing to determine if a person meets the criteria for schizoaffective disorder. These criteria include:
- A period of time during which a person experiences both a significant mood episode, which may be manic or depressive, along with certain symptoms of schizophrenia
- Experiencing either hallucinations, delusions, or both over a period of two or more weeks, during which the patient does not also have a mood episode
- Having symptoms of bipolar disorder or major depression for most of the period during which there are active mental illness symptoms
- Symptoms of the mental illness not explained by a different mental health or medical condition or by substance use
Treatment for Schizoaffective Disorder
The two most important components of treatment for schizoaffective disorder are medications and therapy. While individual plans will vary to some degree by patient, the best and most effective treatment plans include both of these elements. Medications alone will not treat or cure this condition, and therapy alone is not enough to manage symptoms.
A proper diagnosis from a professional mental health clinician is crucial as each treatment plan will vary. There are many different types of therapy and some people may do better with one than another. Commonly, though, behavioral therapies are used, especially cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT. Antipsychotics are used to minimize the psychotic symptoms caused by schizoaffective disorder, but most patients also need medications to manage mood episodes.
When you commit to following your personalized treatment plan you are much more likely to succeed in recovery for schizoaffective disorder.
>> More information about our San Diego Treatment Team
>> More information about Los Angeles Team
Schizoaffective Disorder Treatment Options
In order to address all symptoms of schizoaffective disorder, it is important to have a professional mental health clinician prescribe you a tailored treatment plan designed for recovery. A combination of medication and therapies are normally prescribed. Alternative therapies can further support symptom management and give patients other outlets for expression.
- Residential Treatment. Schizoaffective disorder residential treatment provides patients the medication, therapy, and support they need to succeed in recovery as well as the tools they can use after active treatment has stopped.
- Therapy. Generally, behavioral therapies are used to treat schizoaffective disorder. Family-based therapies are also very useful for those suffering from the disorder and their family members.
- Medications. A patient may be prescribed multiple medications to help treat schizoaffective disorder. Antipsychotics are used to treat psychotic symptoms, antidepressant medications can help alleviate feelings of hopelessness and sadness, and mood-stabilizing medications can help reduce mood swings from mania and depression.
Begin Your Recovery Journey.877-727-4343
Residential Treatment for Schizoaffective Disorder
Alongside therapy and medication, inpatient treatment centers for schizoaffective disorder are complemented by holistic therapies, group support, family counseling, nutrition, and exercise. The caring and compassionate team of professionals at Bridges to Recovery will ensure your treatment is customized to your needs, takes place in a safe and supportive environment, and allows you to focus solely on your recovery.
Why Choose Bridges to Recovery for Schizoaffective Disorder Treatment
At Bridges to Recovery, we specialize in diagnosing and treating complex psychiatric and emotional issues such as schizoaffective disorder. We provide compassionate and effective care in a serene residential setting so clients can focus on their treatment and recovery without the worries of external pressures and stressors.
- Private residential accommodations. Our exclusive residential treatment homes have a maximum of six clients, providing a safe, private alternative to a more traditional hospital environment.
- World-class clinical staff. Our expert clinical team provides individual therapy using proven evidence-based treatment modalities to treat schizoaffective disorder.
- Individualized treatment plans. After a thorough assessment, we create a truly individualized treatment plan that offers profound healing and strategies for overcoming the toughest obstacles.
- Health and wellness focused. To ensure your comfort during your healing process, our chefs create delicious healthy, gourmet meals. We also offer yoga, meditation, acupuncture, massage, and physical fitness classes.
At Bridges to Recovery, we believe that exceptional psychiatric, clinical, and holistic care can transform lives. With the utmost dignity and respect, we meet you where you are to develop a vision for the life you wish to have, and offer the care you need to achieve it.